Thursday, May 26, 2011

Run,Rest,Ice,Roll,Repeat.

I've run once a week for the past 3 weeks.

Sad, huh?

I've kept it around 3 miles. My IITBand (ITB) has gotten better, but not healed completely. Mentally this has been hard on me.

My diet has suffered.
My legs,back shoulders, everything is stiff and achey.
My brain is idle.

I've been doing yoga 2-4 times a week. This helps- but it's not the same.

Today, I made it to mile 3 before I started hurting. I walk/ran the last mile. I actually wasn't sad that I couldn't finish this run. I was excited b/c my recovery time was amazing!

I got home, took and ib profen, iced. And voila!

I'm still seeing the chiropractor for the A.R.T. therapy. This is helping! So, hopefully, I am back on the road to recovery! I am going to try for a 2nd run in a week on Saturday. I will keep it around 3 miles, since that seems to be an okay distance for me before discomfort sets in.

I have been doing some "kick backs" as part of an exercise routine to help strengthen my weak glutes, and train my hamstrings to fire instead of allowing my lower back to compensate, and become too tight--Which in turn only makes my ITB tighter!

Along with the foam rolling(which hurts like the dickens, but helps so much!), yoga, and exercises, I've also added in some weight training. This was fairly easy for me. Again, strengthening my quads, the muscles behind and around my knee, my hips, and glutes. If nothing else, this gets me to the gym, which is a good opportunity for extra low impact cardio!

So, while I'm on the road to recovery, I'm not out of the woods yet!

Hopefully before too long, I will have some great stories to tell about perfect painless 5 milers.

Run Healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment