Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Okc training- Week 14

 I now know why we taper before racing.

After almost 4 months of training, I've hit the peak of my intensity! I'm feeling satisfied with my training, especially in comparison to last season's training.

My route 66 half time was 2:20:24. That's a 10:40 pace.

This weekend I ran 8 miles in 1:13- That's a little over 9:00 mile. And with the exception of my screaming IT band (we'll get there) I was confident that I could have maintained that pace for a measly 5 more miles ... What am I saying? I'm saying do away with boundaries. I just keep thinking this time last year, I hadn't even ran a full 5k with out stopping, and now, I am ready to shave 15-20 minutes off my first half. I'm not "bragging" per-say, but  I'm am proud of all the dedication and hard work that I've put in to wanting this! And if anything I hope that it might one day INSPIRE someone to do away with the "can't" word- and hit unattainable goals for themselves! If you'd told me this time last year as I was huffing and puffing to run 20 minutes straight, that I'd be able to run a sub 8:00 minute mile 5k, I would have laughed and pulled out my "cant card" and flashed it in your face.

So,there ya have it. Don't hold yourself back.

This week was my first real experience with an injury. I started to see Dr. Chuck Zoellner at Zoellner Chiropractic after I started feeling some pings in my lower right back. I was injured there after a car wreck in 05' so I'm thinking it's just "flaring up". I then felt the twinging get stronger and down my leg to the outside of my knee. I took it easy, and got in to see him as soon as I could. He began using the Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) to loosen up my lower back muscles, and manipulate the muscles in my leg as well. He put me on a treadmill to do a gait analysis, and showed me ways to improve my running. Which in turn will actually make me a stronger/faster runner. He started the tread mill at a comfortable 9:30 pace, and I was then put at an 8:00 pace, and with the new running form, felt much easier to maintain! (Someone needs to send my heart the memo)

I have taken this much of the week off so far. I keep having to remind myself that the hard work is DONE. I am allowed to relax, recover and rest my muscles!! I will run our last long run Saturday, and call it good, and hope for the best in OKC.

I'm getting more than stoked for OKC! Everything is set in place, and ready to go. Which will be followed by a - much needed- week long vacation (Thank the Lord!!!!) with my family in Louisiana.

Yesterday was the 16 year anniversary of the bombing of the Murrah Building. I don't think I'll even be able to imagine how awesome it will be running in honor of so many fallen and innocent victims.

It's still so hard to believe that my season is almost over! I guess it's time to set some new goals eh? =) After vacation.

Run Healthy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment