- Carbs carbs carbs carbs. This is fuel for the body! So before a run, I will do a bagel, or english muffin with a little bit of almond butter, or peanut butter. I also like that hazelnut spread "Nutella" Sometimes I will only do half of a bagel/english muffin.
- If the run is later in the day, I'm conscious of what I am eating through out the day. I like to keep my meals lighter, like sandwiches, salads, soups, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit.
- Liquids- I had gotten horrible about drinking water. After I had my daughter, I just wasn't "thirsty" anymore. So I make myself hydrate on run days and the day before a long run. So this puts me drinking pretty much only water for Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday. I mean I still drink water the other days, but just not as much.
- Protein. is. GOOD. Eggs, chicken,fish,nuts,avacado,peanut butter... You know all the stuff that contains lots of protein! Eat it. Protein helps to rebuild the damaged muscle (soreness) and strengthen it. I'm sooooo no a nutritionist or anything, but I think our coaches say to eat protein with in the 2 hours post (hard) run. I love eggs after a run! Hard boiled, scrambled, poached.. ANYWAY! I also, have found that chocolate milk. Just straight up vitamin D, whole chocolate milk works wonders. Clif Shot Roks are a wonderful recovery snack. If I know that I'm going to be sore, I ususally will have a chocolate milk, and ibprofen immediately following my workout. And it WORKS. So recovering, and refueling your body is the most important. I also love and maybe I'm semi addicted to, fruit smoothies with whey protein added. YUM.
- Nutritional supplements. So this one you have to try around and see what you like, and can tolerate. After about 1 hour of my work out, I NEED something to substain my energy. Carbs Carbs Carbs. Again. My first training season, I only experimented with GU. I tried the chomps *gummy bear type chews* and the GU gel shots. These are pretty much a ton of carbohydrates to keep you energized through your run. I never had problems with it. Some people say that it can be too harsh on the GI system. This training season, I have played around with a couple other chews,gels,beans... I have tried the Cliffbar, Accel Gel, and the Honey Stingers. Hands down, my favorite line of Gu and chews, are the honey stingers! They taste like a spoon full of honey, and they work AMAZING. I don't like the chews in any other brand. But I can handle the honey stinger chews. They are pretty raw. -- Meaning, organic. After falling in love with these, and then switching back to GU every once in a while, I definitely feel the difference!
- One other thing that I forgot to mention that I like, which I never thought I would.... Gatorade Prime. This is a little packet of juice. It's really sweet, and is loaded with B12 and Carbohydrates to get you ready for your work out. I only use these on my INTENSE work out, and not my duration work outs. So, before a fast run, or speed work at the track. Something that I wouldn't take any of the above supplements for, b/c of the length of the work out. I always follow an intense work out with some sort of protein, to help rebuild my muscles, and minimize soreness.
I hope that some of this has helped-- I know that when I first started running, and peeking an hour of running, I started looking and asking around like crazy to see what other people like, and use!