Monday, March 14, 2011

Okc Training- Week 9

Week 9. WOW.

After my speedy 9 miles, I was making sure that Monday's run would be more recovery than it usually is. I made sure to keep the pace around 10 minutes(even though it's 10:40). I knew that if I didn't, I wouldn't work out the tension and soreness I'd accumulated. It worked like a charm!

Tuesday was the Mardi Gras fun run at Fleet Feet, down town. This was so much fun-- Even though I got lost, and ended up running an extra half mile, it was cool to run down town, in the rain. I replaced my speed work out with this run. But it was still a speedy run! -- Jennifer and I logged 3.5 miles in about 30 minutes.. So, I'd say it's a good trade off! I volunteered to walk in the parade and hand out beads and candy with some other FF'rs! Super fun!

Thursday - I decided that since I wanted to run the St. Patricks 5k, I would need to get a  SLOW 12 mile run in somewhere.... How and I going to pin down someone for 2 hours to run on a Thursday? I decided I would try and get several people for different parts of the run. I had someone to run the first 6 with me, and the 2nd 6. Well, my girl ended up getting stuck with some school work, and couldn't make it! -- so, I decided, I could handle 6 miles on my own. I ran 3 miles out from my meeting spot with Ashley, who would be there for the back half of my run, and met back with Ashley. I actually ended up getting about 6.5 before she got there - She helped me finish out my run. I was extremely cautious to keep the pace around 10 minute miles. The first 2-3 miles I had to regulate, but I finally settled in perfectly! Chera let me use her garmin watch which aided in keeping my pace, and distance nicely! I finished the run feeling strong. I had no soreness the next day, and felt great for race day!!

Saturday was our St. Patricks day run. Scott has been wanting to get in a good 5k, before it gets too hot. He made plans to take off a little time at work and we spent the whole morning together. We raced- got some PR's- had a great breakfast- went for a long walk on riverside. Was FANTASTIC!!!

Back to the PRs.. I really had no goals, but to beat my last 5k time which is 29:43. The course was flat and the weather was PERFECT! It was a bigger race. There were lots of people there, the news was there, a lot of the special olympics were there. So this only means a big crowd cheering for you! My running mate, Ashley, wanted a 25 minute 5k. I immediately shied away from this idea. I told her " I'll hang with you until I can't anymore!" I knew that this meant, I pretty much had to stay at or under an 8 minute mile the whole time. And. I. Did. I settled in and stayed distracted...... I started thinking about things un related to running. My breathing was heavier than usual, but not absent. At the 4k mark, I had to keep talking myself in to keep going. I wanted to stop. Not walk, but stop. I wasn't hurting, just getting tired! -- I saw the finish line. Why walk now? I stared at the ground and kept the pace... I let go of the 25 minute goal, even though I had barely gone above 8's, I just wanted to get slower and slower. I look up and see the finish line even closer. I see the clock.... I'm about 50 yards out, and see that it reads 24 something... I didn't think twice before I TOOK OFF! Crossing the finish line I stop my watch and look down to see 24:56 -- and then I start feeling my body again. And the feeling of churning stomach gets stronger and stronger-- OMG AM I GONNA YAK?! It was close. Really close. But after about 30 seconds, I was golden. I found my husband and found out that he PR'd too! 23:30. He raced in his vibrams for the first time. He said he was happy with his time, but didn't feel the greatest during his run.

But we were happy with our times, and run after all.

I'm so excited to look back and see how far we've come! Last year I was doing the couch to 5k at this time. I'm not "bragging" - but I am proud of our accomplishments. It took someone else to be proud of their accomplishments to inspire me!!! I hope to inspire someone else. To know that YOU CAN DO IT. Whatever the goal is that you want, you can do it. It may not be to run a 25 minute 5k, but just finish. Just finishing in it'self it such an accomplishment! It may not be distance running, but just to run 5 miles! -- DO IT. The only person who will hold you back, is YOU. That's it. Put aside any doubt, and excuses, and get it done.

Run Inspired!

1 comment: