Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OKC training week 1

Well last Saturday I ran with my new group for the first time! We're training at a 10:30 Long distance pace. SO that puts race pace around 9 minute miles. We were scheduled for 4 miles with the group. I ran with them, we got back to the store, and a handful of my group mates wanted to get a few extra miles- I was IN! We finished our first training run at 6 miles averaging about 10:18 per mile.

I only talked to the coaches and employees of fleet feet. SO I didn't make any new friends or recognize anyone I knew- I think our group is the largest one!

 I stayed in the back where there was space, instead of trying to get through the herd! I was extremely comfortable (even with a few inclines) the whole run. Which is the goal......But.  I'm thinking of moving up to the next pace group. This would put my long slow runs at 10:10 pace. So here's my dellima ....
your LSD (long,slow,distance) run should be really comfortable, and about 90 seconds slower than your goal "race pace" ...... If I move up to the 10:10 group,(which by the way is a MUCH smaller group!) I would have to set a goal to be faster! I'm sure about half way through training, after lots of speed work outs, Hill repeats, tempo runs I will be more prepared and comfortable at a 10:10 pace for 10 miles!

I think, I will stay with the H4A group for 2 more long runs and see how it goes.

Last season, I was training to get my miles up. I wasn't worried about what pace, each time we upped the miles, that was a distance PR for me.... I've kept a base of about 6 miles for the 6 weeks after the ROUTE 66, so I really don't have to worry about increasing the distance this time, and I guess I can focus more on the speed.

If you're training for something keep me updated!!!! I'll try to update each week, or more on mine! I have been doing throw back Tuesdays, which allows me to re-live my couch to 5k expierence! I am so glad I kept track of it! I didn't as regularly with my first half training. I wish I had.


Happy running!!!




2 comments:

  1. Now that you KNOW you can run the mileage...that isnt the brain block anymore. Its going to be the pace so you might as well be encouraged with a group when you can! Might be the best time to improve your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks! I think you're right!! We shall see, after tonight's run, I'm thinking of dropping back to the walking group! :) Good job! Can't wait to follow your 10k training.....so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete